Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

American "Idol" (Part One)

The U.S. has an obsession with "stars." American Idol, SYTYCD, and The Voice fill our TV screens with "star" wannabes. And we watch! Scotty McCreery, the most recent AI winner, is from our area -- his house is about 20 minutes away from mine. AI mania struck our region hard: Scotty news reports, Scotty banners and billboards throughout the community, facebook status updates all about him... AI was "IT."

Personally, I'm not an AI fan -- though we did watch the last couple shows. You know, Christian local hits the big time... It was hard to resist. I pray for him, specifically that God will guide him and his family as he adjusts to his new stardom. His parents are invested in his dream, supporting him -- and from all I hear on the news, helping him stay grounded.

Not all parents see their kids make it to the big stage, whether in music, dance or sports. Most kids participate at a local level and never go further. And that's okay. Except...

Often, music, dance or sports become the center of family living. A full 25% of the American population eats drive-thru fast food for dinner each night. Why? We're running from work to soccer to baseball to whatever else the kids have going on. Kids do homework in the car while we multi-task on our cell phones, juggling more than we ever should. Arriving home late in the evening, parents finish up homework there just wasn't time to do and everyone falls into bed. Exhausted.

Family finances are in shambles -- so much money invested in kids' activities that both parents need to work just to keep up. Marriages crumble -- with everything invested in the kids, parents have no time to connect with each other; the marriage relationship gives way to the parenting role. Husband and wife look at each other and wonder, "Do I know you?" Teens raise themselves -- so caught up in activity and skill building, parents sacrifice relational building with their kids. Parents and teens, strangers in the same house. The teens turn to friends, the internet and television to be their compass -- and then parents wonder why their kid is pregnant at 17, or self-medicating with drugs or alcohol, or isolated in their bedroom. Putting kids first kills the family.

In Genesis 22, God tested Abraham. He told Abraham to sacrifice his son, Isaac, on an altar. Abraham never questioned God's plan for Isaac's life. Abraham understood that Isaac was a gift from God -- and that God had a plan for Isaac. Abraham's faith in God was strong and secure -- He passed the test. God sent a ram to be sacrificed in Isaac's place. No doubt, Abraham and Isaac's strong faith was strengthened even more that day.

I wonder what would happen to fast food in America. I wonder what would happen in our schools if kids weren't so tired. I wonder what would happen to the divorce rate if we put God first -- and activities second. When we idolize our kids, giving them everything without first asking God if that's His plan, we can't have the same peace that Abraham did. I wonder...

Father God,
Remind me ALWAYS to seek your will for my family. Remind me to look to you first before deciding my kids need this or that. Help us keep our priorities straight: Your kingdom first, our family second. I desire the peace of Abraham as I raise my kids. Please help me be strong enough to say no when I should. 
In the precious name of your Son, Jesus,
Amen


To read more, please go to American Idol (Part Two).
hostgator promotional code

7 comments:

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Great post. Everything always seems to work out better when I put God first. We've been trying to find a balance with kids activities--it's not easy!

Diane Colosimo said...

American idol program me was very nice I liked it very much.


Diane Colosimo
Divorce Help solutions

Marisa and Brittany said...

Karen, I completely agree with what you're saying. Many parents live vicariously through their children and often the result is either a frustrated, defeated child, or a worn-out, disappointed parent.

When my daughter was in preschool, she began gymnastics. She stuck with it until junior high. She was actually quite gifted and was sought after by the cheerleading coach. She was a cheerleader for a week and I'll never forget her saying to me that wearing letter jackets, ponytails with ribbons, and being a part of a group that was known for ostracizing others was absolutely not for her. She turned in her pom poms and that was it for her.

That same year she won the all-around gymnast competition. I remember we were on the road all of the time and the expense was almost more than we could handle. She was also a flutist in the band, so of course there were band practices and concerts.

We finally sat down with her and told her some things needed to give. I merely said that if she did not want to be a gymnast by profession, we needed to give it up. Amazingly, she was fine with that.

My husband and I decided at that point that our children could be involved in only one extracurricular activity of their choosing. We were committed to not push them into anything.

Brittany's high school career was very peaceful. She stuck with playing the flute and spent the rest of her energies on studying and working her way through school and hanging out with her friends.

We have many fond memories of precious times spent with her and not frazzled running here and there. I wouldn't trade that time for anything :)

Kudos to you for seeking God's will for your family and not being pressured into something "everyone else is doing!" You all will be better off for it :o)

Marisa
http://www.meyouandcreamedcorn.com/

Q said...

Excellent post! I'm not a parent, but I know how hectic some of my friends' schedules are because of their kids activities. The world would be so much easier to live in if everyone put God first and let everything else fall into place.

Rebecca said...

Oh...I was just talking about this with a friend the other day...and I LOVE that you had the courage to post about it! Thank you for linking this post...and sharing with the world that these blessings we have were given to us...for his purpose!

Karen Dawkins said...

If we aren't courageous, how will anyone know. I just pray that my words are pleasing to God and guide others to Him!

Thanks for the bloglink!

Jennifer said...

You are so right! We struggle to keep the balance in our family. We limit the kids' activities and schedule time together as a couple as well as special family times. If it doesn't get put on our calendars, the days get filled with something else.

And always, at our house, spending time reading and discussing God's Word comes first!

Thanks for the great post!