Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Let's Get Organized

Hello my sweet friends,

I am wrapping up WEEK THREE of our new reality. Life with the college kid is going well. Our newly public schooled high schooler's time and homework management are improving. The little one is flourishing in second grade -- and enrolled in her beloved ballet.

The only one floundering is me! Yep! It seems that six hours of complete freedom is more than I can handle. I have so many options but I'm not using most of them. The house isn't cleaner (well, the kitchen is... I'm the only one eating here). I'm not getting a whole lot more work done. And I certainly haven't figured out how to add scrapbooking to my day. Two decades of photos and memorabilia sit, ignored in their boxes.

I need a routine! Will you help? I've made it easy! If you have a great organizing tip -- for the house, for photos, for chores, for work, for time management, for ANYTHING, please share it.

You can share two ways (I am getting organized!!!). Leave a comment sharing your best tip. OR link to your great organizing post using mclinky AND leave a comment so I know you posted. I promise to read each and every one!

If, like me, you struggle to get organized, maybe these tips will help you too!

Here's to getting organized!!!



15 comments:

Cheryl@OntheOldPath said...

Karen I am an organizational addict. I love things neat and tidy and in their homes. Yet I have 6 children at home so that is not always reality. I added a link for a post I had introducing the clean heart clean home challenge, I also posted several posts as I worked through the challenge. I also keep a home management binder which helps keep me on track, in the next week or so I will be sharing posts about that too. Good luck.

Karen Dawkins said...

Cheryl,
Thanks! I might have to work my way up to being that organized. :) But, maybe I could turn a 52 day challenge into a 52 week challenge! :)

Karen

ReviewsSheRote said...

Well I REALLY REALLY am very un-organized about once a month a little organizing bug hits, and I find once I do it LIFE IS MUCH EZER--but its that GETHER DONE PUSH I NEED!!! =^D

Karen Dawkins said...

Pamela, I need that "get her done" push too. Hopefully, some easy to implement ideas will get me started! And you too!!! :)

Christine D. | The Plumed Nest said...

I am always trying to get organized! I suffer from the same thing when my kids are asleep/gone it's almost harder for me to know what to do first. So I often pick one thing the night before. I love lists but if they are too long then they start feeling optional. So the before I go to bed I think of one thing I want to accomplish and make sure it gets done the next day. It almost always does. It also usually leads to getting more things done. I also have times where I work on certain things, like blogging or work. My kids bath time is when I clean the bathroom and sort laundry.

Anonymous said...

Must be in the air because I have been on an organizing mission lately! My new favorite thing is Pintrest. I am collecting different ideas for organization and then I will adapt them to our family. My current project is a Family Command Center for mail, a "don't forget" box for things we need to take with us the next day, and even a pretty picture frame for each family member that says I love you because... and you fill in the blank on the glass with dry erase marker.

All found on Pintrest by searching with keywords for the areas I would like to organize.

Next I'll tackle the pantry and closet. SCARY!

A place for everything and everything in its place!

-D-

Kristina said...

With six hours to yourself while three kids are in school it sounds like you're living the dream! :)
I usually write a list of all the things I would like to get done around the house (big & small). And on days when I feel very industrious, I tackle the big ones (I cleaned and organised my pantry the other day); other days, I just do a few small things. Either way, when I cross things off my list, I feel like I'm always getting somewhere:)
And I agree with the comment above - Pinterest is a great place to browse for organisational ideas!
Kristina

mail4rosey said...

I read this really great blog about organizing. I'll leave the link here for you to check out for yourself. She really puts some great ideas and tips out there!

http://www.organizewithsandy.com/blog/

mail4rosey said...

Oh, I forgot to say good luck!

Leigh @ OneandOneEqualsTwinFun said...

Good luck! I am terrible at organizing. I would ignore the house and go see a movie and lunch with friends ;)

Nan ~ Playful Decor said...

Hi Karen! I'll link up several clean up tips this weekend. But you should read my post "Re-Designing Myself, My Blog & Motherhood" - I finally decided how I want to spend my last centarian (?) decades so I'm super busy and loving it! My recommendation for you - spend this first month of freedom puttering around the house, watch tv, just relax and enjoy! Then get going! Will talk more - what happened to your travel blog? Message me.

Sandy Jenney - Organize with Sandy said...

Thanks Rosey for mentioning this to me. Karen, I would suggest that you make a "To Do" list. Then write a schedule for your free time. Give yourself a little time in the morning to enjoy the quiet time with a cup of coffee and organize for that day (after the kids have left).
Pick one project to start on. Make goals for yourself of what you want that space to look like and when you'd like to complete it.
I think once you get going... you will "catch the bug" and be excited with your progress... which will keep you going. Have fun! You'll get in your groove.

Karen Dawkins said...

Thanks everyone for sharing your ideas. I look forward to linked tips and implementing many of the ideas you share here. You are the best!

Karen

Anonymous said...

My accomplice and I really loved reading this weblog post, I was just itching to know do you commerce featured posts? I'm always trying to find somebody to make trades with and merely thought I might ask.

Unknown said...

I always make checklists every day for myself, even in chicken scratch pencil, to literally check off. I get so much more done that way, and it is so satisfying.