It's easy to ignore God. Of course, it leads to disaster which is not so easy... but the ignoring part. Piece. Of. Cake.
The past few days, I've noticed something about our dog... I know, dog/God analogies...
When I turn off the TV, Daisy notices. She might be sprawled out on the floor or curled up in a tight ball tucked into the corner of the sofa. Sometimes, she's in the kitchen, busily grooming herself. It doesn't matter where she is, though, because the moment she hears the almost inaudible "click" of the TV power cutting off, she leaps to attention. She knows that when the TV clicks off, something is about to happen. She might not know what, but she's ready.
Will I head upstairs to bed?
Am I just headed to another room to clean?
Or, am I just turning off the drone so I can focus more clearly?
She doesn't know what's next (well, she probably can figure out bedtime), but she is always ready... waiting for my next move so she can follow. "Click." Prepare to move. Follow. Every time.
John 10:3-4 says, "He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. After he has gathered his own flock, he walks ahead of them, and they follow him because they know his voice."Oh how I wish I was as alert as my dog. Jesus whispers. I prepare to move. I follow. Every time.
But that's not the case with me. I let my life, problems, emotions, busy-ness, and selfishness drown His voice. He whispers. I'm too busy, too self-absorbed. I stagnate. Sometimes.
It's time to dedicate my heart to listening to that quiet whisper. To prepare to move. To follow. Every time. Not just when I want to.
What makes you ignore the "click" of Jesus' whisper in your life?
How would your life change if you responded to Him every time?
God bless,












6 comments:
I think wallowing in self pity shuts Him out sometimes. Others, I'm tired, busy, focused on 37 other things. I had to make time, believe it or not, in the shower. The only time I get a maximum of four minutes to myself before the cries are heard. I pray, and I ask Him to help me listen and pay attention.
Maybe it's time to implement a little "paying attention" time when I'm folding socks :)
You put this so well! I can really identify with this problem. It is all too easy to ignore that still, small voice, and I reap problems every time. I agree - I'll take your challenge today and tune in to Jesus. Thanks for an edifying post.
I think it is really easy to get so busy that we don't realize what we need to... or even just enjoy the simplicities of life. I know that I struggle with that.
Wow...I really needed to read this tonight. There's a lot going on right now. Our dog is going to have puppies any minute, DH is away from home for a night, staying with his father in the hospital after he had an operation, and we've had to engage a lawyer to get answers about my mother's estate. It really is too much to wrap my mind around everything right now. But I know who has the answer. I just have to listen for His Voice!
Thanks, ladies. I appreciate your feedback.
It's easy to know. It's harder to listen.
I find that it is easy to listen to God when I am despairing and when I'm feeling grateful. But when my life is on auto-pilot, I can lose my way.
Post a Comment