Our home is filled with talk of PSAT and SAT testing as our son prepares to apply to colleges. He's been asking lots of questions about his dad's and my journey to college (some of it, we're too old to remember!) Last week before he took the PSAT, I reminded him that all he has to do is give the best he's got that day. We prayed together before I sent him off to school -- asking God to prepare the way for whatever is next in our son's life.
It reminded me of when God changed the total course of my life -- sending me on a journey I never would have picked in a million years! Partway through my senior year, the dean of my college called me into his office. I went to Ohio State and we rarely met senior administration, much less get called to their office. I was concerned.
He said, "You need to go to law school." What? Me? Never, not once had I considered it! I made some quick objections:
- I don't know anything about law school. He explained that "all" I had to do was take the LSAT.
- How much does that cost? I don't have any money to take that test. He assured me that my financial need would be covered by the Ohio State law school. All I had to do was fill out a paper that proved my need.
All my objections answered, he sent me off to the law school to inquire about the test. Within moments, I had applied for a test fee waiver and was approved. Seriously! The lady gave me a trifold brochure that explains the question types, the test date and location of the next test. She also told me it was the last day to apply for the next LSAT and wished me luck. It was that simple!
I didn't know about LSAT study guides, not that I could have purchased one. Instead, I prepared by reading the brochure. More than once, I wondered what I had gotten myself into.
Test day arrived. I headed to the testing location and listened to the litany of testing rules. I sat with fellow test-takers, some of them taking the test for the second, third and even fourth time -- hoping for better scores to get into their desired school.
I sat down at an ancient wooden desk with a Pepsi and a poptart (don't ask... I was in college and considered that a good breakfast). I surveyed the room, realizing I had no business being there. I closed my eyes and told God, "If you really want me to go to law school, You better show up big time. Make it abundantly clear that this is the plan you have for my life." I didn't think this was it.
Sometime later, I got my test results. I had scored in the 97th percentile in the whole country! Only 3% of test takers had higher scores. I was astounded. Then, I had no idea what to do next. Thankfully, I worked with some amazing people who helped me figure out what to do. I applied to three schools -- fees waived because of need -- and was accepted at all of them. I chose to stay at Ohio State. Law school wasn't easy -- there's definitely a learning curve to law education -- but the professors were awesome and helped me figure it all out.
People often ask if I'll ever return to law practice. I honestly don't think I will. God called me to a law career to do something specific, which I did. He provided me a great education that helps me stay organized in ministry. It helps me research my kids' special needs and provide for them. God knew law school would provide skills I need for everyday life. It may not be the traditional course, but I wonder -- how often is God's plan predictable? or ordinary?
I'll put a picture of Rob and me at my law school graduation in my memory box to remind me that God's plan is not always what I think it might be. I hope it helps my son remember that no matter what his test scores are, God has a plan for his life too and will never leave him or foresake him.












2 comments:
Great post! Thanks for sharing.
I felt the same way when God pressed upon me to become a high school math teacher! Now I use those skills in our nonprofit tutoring center for kids with special needs. Awesome post!
Post a Comment