Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Real life

The internet is a strange "friend." Some of us are consumed by social networks, speaking to others only through facebook, twitter and blogs. Others have forgotten that these "virtual worlds" only provide snippets of reality. Surfing longingly through beautiful homes, fashion pins and hairstyles on pinterest, our own homes are neglected. The reality is nobody lives in a pinterest house!


Others have lost their jobs and families because their "need" for internet gaming consumes their every waking hour. Teens use these social sites to bully others -- as if the face to face bullying in schools isn't enough. Some die from the effects of bullying or because their virtual self died. The internet is impersonal, cold, and untrue.

Yet...

Real life family!
I recently sent an email to the adoption agency we used to bring Ellie home, offering to write a post for them about the attachment and adjustment issues we faced after she came home. They asked to post that email, as is, on their blog and I consented. I expected nothing.

Within days, people responded. Other parents, whose kids weren't easily adjusting to life in a forever family, poured out their hearts, their hurts and their frustrations. My heart ached. Our hurts, dulled by the passage of time, remembered once again as I read their stories. The sadness. The disappointment, not in the kids but in the shattered dreams. The fears, will she ever function in this world or is she trapped inside the hurt forever.

I didn't expect anyone to respond to that post. 

Years ago, when we were going through the pain, I didn't expect it ever to help anyone else.

But God knew. He knew the challenges Ellie would have. He knew the war for her heart and mind that we would fight. He knew the joy of the outcome... and He knew that our hurt, anger and disappointment would one day be used for good. He knew that our journey would become the light in someone else's dark tunnel. He knew!

The internet is not real life! Facebook is not real. Blogs are not "real." But God... sometimes uses them to connect people who would never "meet" otherwise. God used the internet to take our journey to the Pacific Northwest and New York, places I've never been. 


The internet is not real life... but when we, the authors of the internet, write real material from our hearts, God does use it for good, to promote fellowship and remind others of his faithfulness. 


Today, consider what you post in your blog, on facebook or even your pinterest. 


Is it real? 

9 comments:

Momfever said...

That's a beautiful post, and a beautiful thing to come out of the internet.

I know you only get snippets from other people, and it can't be compared to having real life contacts, but I'm often amazed by the people I meet on the internet. People I would never have met otherwise!

And that's real enough for me.

By the way, I love the look of your blog!

Karen Dawkins said...

I know. Many of the people I have "met" through the blog have become dear friends. We have moved beyond the blog to correspond by email, phone and text. We reach out to each other in moments of pain -- or to share exciting news!

I've "met" many, though, some in real life 3-D, who think I have it all together (that baffles me... I'm fairly straightforward about life) and live a beautiful dream.

None of us has a perfect life. And the internet is only as real as we allow it to be... we can search for the pain and overwhelm ourselves with a dark, cruel world.... We can pretend life is perfect all the time.

I hope we choose the real -- that place in the middle. And that we get offline once in a while to simply LIVE!!!!

Sorry, must be feeling preachy today.

Thanks for the compliment on the blog look. :)

This Mom's Heart said...

Beautiful. I spend a lot of time on my blog talking about being "real"- it is something very close to my heart. I especially love this line:

"The internet is not real life... but when we, the authors of the internet, write real material from our hearts, God does use it for good, to promote fellowship and remind others of his faithfulness."

My best friend has adopted two kids through foster care. I love how God uses our pain and joy to write beautiful stories to minister to others.

Tara - BePreparedPeriod.com said...

Great post! The Internet is definitely strange. How wonderful you were able to connect and help other families through sharing your experience.

Erin said...

I love it! You were just busy trying to get through life, never knowing that you were preparing to help others who are going through the same things! You are a blessing to many, Karen!! Thank you for what you do!
Blessings,
~Erin

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post Karen, The internet is a funny place, but I have also met wonderful people through it and have been able to connect with them, its awesome.

Nikki @ Simplystriving said...

found you via Paula's Worship Wednesday link up and am so glad I linked up after you.

Beautiful post!

Oh, how easy it is to get wrapped up in this fake world of social media...

don't you just love how God can still use it for His glory? When we submit our time on it to Him...

Thanks for speaking to my real heart today!

All for Him,
Nikki

Paula said...

And THIS is why I blog!! :) Beautiful, thought-provoking post, Karen! Thanks so much for linking up...

Erin said...

Karen,
How wonderful that the Lord used the struggles that you went through years ago, to bless and encourage people today...people who you'll never meet except through the internet. Your post reminds me of an Ann Voskamp quote that I love! "Growth is always a gift, even when trials are the tutor."
Blessings,
~Erin