Pages

Friday, June 1, 2012

Finish Strong!

My sweet bug-loving girl!
Every day before Ellie heads off to the bus, we pray. Some days, I offer instructional prayers, like "God, please help Ellie remember to talk only when it's her turn and not to take more than she should from the reward jar." Sometimes, I pray more for her teacher -- especially as the year comes to a close and the kids care more about summer than math!

Lately, though, my prayers have ended with, "Help Ellie finish strong." We've been talking about that a lot -- the school year isn't done till it's done, so finish strong! Your room is almost clean, so don't give up and finish strong. Math homework IS hard, but keep a good attitude and finish strong. She knows that "finish strong" means give your best right up to the end!

Her dance recital is this Saturday, which means two extra practices. Instead of dance only on Tuesday, we added Wednesday and Thursday too. That's a lot of hard work for my seven year old.

As I tucked her into bed last night, her long week drawing to a close, Ellie spoke softly, "Thanks for praying for me to finish strong, Mommy. God answered that prayer today." Melt. My. Heart!

Thanks for praying. Of course!

Baby girl, I have prayed for you since before I knew you. I will continue to pray all the days of my life. I love you. More than that I rejoice that you are discovering how very much your eternal Father in heaven loves you!

Jesus loves the little children,
all the children of the world,
Red and yellow, black and white,
they are precious in His sight.
Jesus loves the little children
of the world!

9 comments:

Paula said...

Precious, Karen! I'm learning more and more that we have to stop and just take in these special moments. Thanks for sharing with us.

Cheryl@OntheOldPath said...

That is very sweet. What an important lesson to teach her. I love when children see prayer at work!

Karen Dawkins said...

You're right! An important lesson -- every single thing we do teaches our kids something! I'm thankful Ellie is discovering that prayer helps. :)

Momfever said...

That's beautiful! I never do that, and never even thought of it, but I think it's inspiring.

Karen Dawkins said...

Praying with my kids, I hope, will lead all of them to trust God when I'm not there 24/7 anymore. :) Who better than their eternal father to guide them as they venture out?

Blessings!!!

ReviewsSheRote said...

SO sweet...In the morning befor ethe bus I like to ask GOd to put a protective covering over my kids...once my daughter asked Didn't we get one yesterday!?-Cann't that still keep us safe?" LOL

Anne @ Green Eggs and Moms said...

I love that little poem in the end, Karen! It's so cute and true!

Leigh @ OneandOneEqualsTwinFun said...

I agree - melt my heart! What a great moment. And I think "finish strong" is a mantra she can use to be successful all through her life.
Leigh
www.oneandoneequalstwinfun.com

Anonymous said...

Karen this is wonderful, my 3 boys go to school out of the home, we pray before they go on the bus and when they hit the door in the afternoon, I ask how was your day or how did you do on that test, and there answer will sometimes be I remembered our prayer this morning and God helped me on the test, so its just wonderful what you are doing.