Pages

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Reflections

Oh how I wish I had a cool pic for this post... alas...

I've been asked dozens of times about the tears. Yet, I have not cried. My heart swells with joy at my son's accomplishments, his thought process as he prepares to go forward, and his drive to give his best.

While he cherished his Tigger outfit, he's now my J.Crew man, wearing dapper ties because that's who he now is.

Those collages and projects of the elementary years gave way to lengthy essays analyzing the Life of Pi.

Early piano recitals involved learning technique-friendly piano book songs, but now he wows people with Rachmaninoff.

His "job" when he was little was simply to clean his room, but now he drives off to work asking for extra shifts to save for the fall.

Freshman year, he fell for the "good enough argument" (an honors B equals an non-honors A), but this year he achieved straight A's in AP classes, finally appreciating that "good enough" means giving your best.

This chapter of my son's life comes to a close... but as I look back, I don't long for the Tigger-loving days. I rejoice that he has chosen to listen to our advice, he desires to give his best at piano, school, work and in relationships, and that he loves God with all his heart. I'm thankful for the foundational early years, but I am thrilled for today.

He's not done growing yet... I have a feeling that when we reach the next milestone, we'll look back on four years of college with same joy, pride and love we have now.

By humility and the fear of the Lord
Are riches and honor and life.
Proverbs 22:4

Congratulations, Nathan! Always, finish strong!
With love,
Mom

9 comments:

Barb said...

Great post; congrats to all. It IS fun to look back, but more wonderful to look ahead!

Karen Dawkins said...

And for now... to savor today! :)

Kenya G. Johnson said...

That was beautiful. I smiled all through your post. I'm not a "young" mom since I got a late start but in some ways with my 7 year old/only child I still feel like a new mom. I can only hope that we are doing the best for him and by him. He is with my parents this week. Even though I wouldn't expect anything less, I beamed when my dad told me how we are doing such a good job with him. Thank you for sharing your sons accomplishments. I got goosebumps at Rachmaninoff.

Joy said...

Okay, now I'm tearing up! And it's only because my baby is moving to a toddler bed. How will I ever handle the other milestones!

Karen Dawkins said...

Joy, One milestone at a time! Don't look at the end, but savor today. AND be thankful! Enjoy that big kid bed! :)

Leigh @ OneandOneEqualsTwinFun said...

WOW - Rachmaninoff - his work energizes and inspires me. Congrats on raisisng such an accomplished son. Dare I say it sounds like you have raised a wonderful husband for someone one day. Time flies to quickly!
Leigh
www.oneandoneequalstwinfun.com

Karen Dawkins said...

Leigh, I sure hope he's a wonderful husband some day! Though, his wife will probably have to teach him to pick up after himself - I've fought that battle and keep losing! LOL But, if that's my greatest complaint, I've done okay I think! :)

Shari Lynne @ www.faithfilledfoodformoms.com said...

Awww don't you just LOVE it..it's such a relief when our children reach a stage in there life when we can see all the fruit of our labor and rejoice! What a wonderful son you have. Well done Karen!! :)
Blessings!

Unknown said...

You know I'll be at the college starting line just two years behind you. Though the years have passed rapidly I have not regretted their passing. Each year of my daughter's lives brings a unique combination of challenges and blessings. I'm just privileged to get to ride through the years with them! :)