He flopped down on the couch across the room, propping his feet on the coffee table and asked, non-chalantly, "Mom, do you believe in predestination or free will?
There I was, working on a travel blog post when his question crashed over my head. Ohhh, God, I don't know this answer to this one. I prayed quietly for instant wisdom on the question of the ages, "Which is it: predestination or free will?" And then I bought myself some time.
"What do you think?" I asked, interested.
He shared some thoughts. I listened. I kept praying. I shared
my thoughts. He responded to my thoughts.
(If you're interested, I believe in both: God has a plan. He leaves it to us to decide if we'll follow His plan and further his cause on earth or if we'll ignore him, go our own way and make a mess of things. It's learning to listen and submit to His predestined plan that's the hard part.)
He moved his feet to the floor, leaned forward and propped his elbows on his legs. "This was a good talk, Mom. Thanks for listening."
He stood up, leaving about as abruptly as he had come.
I sat there, still. Quiet. Computer long forgotten. I watched the empty doorway where he had gone and realized...
My almost-man is forming his own thoughts and opinions about God. But he still lets me in. He gives me permission to speak into his life and share my thoughts.
He may not take them.
But he might.
I love you, my almost man. Crash in anytime.
Love,
Mom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












1 comment:
Good post. It's a valuable lesson for any parent at any stage: always be ready to listen, because kids don't follow a schedule when it comes to opening up. Personally, I believe to have QUALITY time with kids, we need to make sure we're giving them a QUANTITY of time.
Post a Comment