Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Why this? Why now?

The Lord is close to the brokenhearted 
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Psalm 34:18

My heart breaks for my son and all his friends in band. They've been hammered with bad news and tragedy over the past couple weeks. Someone they looked up to as a role model was arrested and sits in jail. They wonder why. And they grieve for him as families grieve when a loved one goes astray. Deeply, they hurt.

Yesterday, two band members died in a tragic car accident on a flooded road. Their lives cut short. Again, the kids ask why? Why them? Why now?

There's no way to explain tragedy so it makes sense. It just is. And life goes on. School. Rehearsal. Homework. Life. "Why" presses in as they press on.

Many of the kids in this band know Jesus, but these past eight days leave some questioning. They haven't lived long enough to know God really will work it all out. Their faith is tested.


It's understandable that some look at all that's happening and ask what more they can take. How much pain must they endure. Yet, God offers peace. He does not want them to fear what's next or break under the strain of what's now. He offers peace to those who love Him. I pray that while this is hard (even for me as a grown-up with lots of life experience), the kids will look to God for peace in their confusion and hurt.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27 
I pray for comfort in the storm. Comfort that offers rest, deep comfort to calm anxious hearts filled with fear, pain, and confusion.

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green
pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of
righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow
of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort
me. Psalm 23:1-4 

I pray they will trust that God will work it all out in the end, just as He promises. Someday. Just believe.
Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good. Romans 8:26-28 (MSG)
My heart grieves for Chris, Alissa, their families and friends. But there will come a day when there will be no more death, no more pain, no more tears. God will make all things new. I pray that now, in the midst of pain, we each will hold on to the love of Jesus, our comforter, our peace, and our assurance that this will not last forever.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

praying for comfort for all those kids & families. What sweet truth you share Karen.

Shannon said...

Oh Karen! I am praying! Praying for the Peace that passes all understanding to be there...praying that when they need to pour out their hearts, they will pour them out to the Lord. Praying for you as you walk alongside them in this too!
Hugs & Prayers,
Shannon

Beth H said...

If God did not swoop down and rescue His innocent Son from the cruelty of the cross, He will not always deliver us from the grief and ravages of sin either. He does however promise to walk through them with us. He will never, no not ever, ever, leave us nor forsake us!

Jenny said...

Karen, I am praying too for these families- and the kids in the band who are questioning and grieving. Will continue to hold you all up before the throne of God. Love you!