Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

slow down!

Over spring break, we learned a valuable lesson. Slow down!

We took our time with dinner, not rushing to finish and get to whatever else is next. Our usual 15 minutes of "quality family time" stretched. Once we actually sat at the table and talked for TWO WHOLE HOURS! It's true!

This week, we're back to work, school and other commitments, but we crave that connection and are committed to making it happen -- at least once in a while.

Would you like to connect more with your family?

Maybe these tips will help:
  1. Turn off the TV, stereo or other noisy device. Let the conversation be your music.
  2. Leave the cellphones someplace else! (This has always been a rule at our house.)
  3. Serve the meal in stages: salad, then main course, then dessert. And take the time to clear away the current dishes before moving on to the next course. (It forces you to slow down a little bit.) We used to pile everything on one plate, but having a small salad plate and then a larger dinner plate makes a difference!
  4. Relax! Enjoy your family! Be grateful!
We don't serve different foods, just the presentation. 
Your family is special. Shouldn't they know it?
Blessings,

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"slow down" how many times in my short 55 years have I heard others tell me...slow down! There is this incredible thumb in my back that always says, "hurry up"...even in resting I"m hurring up...I need to learn....this old dog a new trick...slow down

Karen Dawkins said...

Rhonda, I hope you do!!!

Praying for you now.

Dear God, Please be with Rhonda. Help her to remember that you gave us life to enjoy it, not just to rush through it. In John 10:10 Jesus says he came that we might live an abundant life here. Help Rhonda see the abundance of your goodness and the blessings you give her. Help her savor the love in her life -- and in savoring, help her bless others with the joy of peace, calm and contentment. Whatever her schedule is today, please help her find moments of quiet to cherish this day!
In Jesus' name I pray,
Amen

Alison said...

Thanks for this post, Karen. I think I suffer from "hurry sickness"! There is so much of life to savor that can only happen when we are more deliberate in our choices and our intentional enjoyment of slower living.

kd sullivan said...

Great advice! We sat down and had dinner with our kids who are in college the other day. They must have said how great that it was five times! Thanks for your kind words of encouragement over at incourage today..

Karen Dawkins said...

KD,
I'm still praying for you. How many of your kids are in college? We send our first off to school in the fall. :)

Karen

Courtney Pies said...

I think everyone can benefit to these tips you posted. There's not one person I know (including myself and my family) who doesn't rush through most things in life. We need to learn to enjoy each other's company more.

-Courtney
optimisticmommy.com
peaceloverecipes.com