Pages

Friday, August 31, 2012

Changes... and how I'm doing.

There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace.
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

One week ago, my oldest son moved into his first dorm room. He planted himself firmly in his new life as a college student, and I was uprooted -- from full-time mom to part-time correspondent (by text and twitter). I mourn, but I also dance... God placed him at Samford and my heart for him is full.

Five days ago, my second son started high school, along with a gazillion other fresh ninth graders across the country. He's my "mini me," home schooled by my side through eighth grade. We were always together -- grocery shopping, schooling, house cleaning and library trips. This week, I'm mourning his constant presence. Grocery shopping alone is peaceful (a time to be silent), but oh how I miss his jabbering (a time to speak). Of course, he comes home from the public high school bubbling with stories about his day and I miss the silence. Perhaps I'm never content?

Ellie started second grade Monday. She's happy as a lark, embracing the new school year with all its promise. She loves her teacher and is thrilled to have friends in her class. Thankfully, this is a time of peace in her world, which means peace for me.

I'm adjusting well, though. I write without interruption. With no one home all day, the house stays a lot cleaner! My husband and I enjoy lunch together (he has Wednesday afternoons off. WOO HOO!).  In some ways our family is being torn down, scattered like stones across the country and across town, but my heart is mending. Though I must let go of what was, I look ahead to what will be.

Love.
Peace.
Laughter.


13 comments:

ReviewsSheRote said...

I have 6 more days until the school year starts-write without interruption...NICE-
No one going to college yet-glad your dealing with it well =)

Unknown said...

Enough the precious moments of silence. It's good to have time for yourself, that's for sure, to recharge those batteries.

Unknown said...

Karen... I feel your pain... I too years ago went from mom to communicator as well... I am just happy that my son continues to communicate with me and now pray that he will one day marry a gal that is a good Christian and is close to her family. Grace, Peace and blessings, Carla

The Detox Diva said...

I'm listening to all of you with kids starting or going off to school and it makes me want to hold onto my now 5 month old twins and keep them babies forever!!! It's nice to hear that you are mending and that you can rejoice for their growth!

Unknown said...

Love this honest look at the difficulty of letting our children go. It's so beautiful how you know you can only triumph with His strength.

Becky Jane said...

The different times of our lives are so good, but I agree, they can be a bit unsettling, especially when the changes involve our kids! HUGS!

Karen Dawkins said...

Detox Diva, Learning to let go and allow them to stretch is a precious part of the journey of parenthood. Most of the happiest memories come from their achievements!

Karen Dawkins said...

Shannon and Becky Jane,
In God's strength, I can do all things! :)
Even let go.
Love you both!
Karen

Quirky Homemaker said...

Karen, Good Luck with all of your changes. It is very true that in God's strength we can do all things. I think as mothers our lives are constantly changing and we are always just trying to learn our "new" roles and where we fit in. Enjoy your new peace and quiet and I'll try to do the same!
Michelle
Heartfelt Balance Handmade Life

Karen Dawkins said...

Michelle,
I'll enjoy it. You, too!
Karen

mail4rosey said...

So many changes in such a short time! Enjoy your peace. :) I enjoyed your post.

Unknown said...

Oh Karen, I can't claim to understand letting a child "go" to college or even high school. But I do understand 2nd grade and those first steps into the preschool classroom. My mom used to tell me no matter how old I am, I will always be her baby. I tell my girls that every day. And I believe it wholeheartedly. I may have to let go on the outside, but I never will on the inside. :) I know you won't either.

Blessings, friend.
Rosann

LuAnn @ BackPorchervations said...

Beautifully written! And what a great outlook you have. I hope I am as together about things when my oldest (now 15) spreads his wings. Found you through voiceBoks.